Friday, December 9, 2011

Chicken Noodle/Dumpling Soup

Well you may wonder why I named this recipe Chicken Noodle/Dumpling Soup??? Well this is because all of the dumplings generally get eaten on day one.  So I would then be left with plain Chicken Soup.  Now don't get me wrong that is more than okay since this chicken broth has loads of flavor but the family likes the extra noodles therefore I do both.  Alright since that is cleared up I have one last request....there may be a couple steps that you possibly may be tempted to skip but trust me stick to the recipe!  These couple extra steps give you the extra flavor that makes this recipe a favorite!!


Chicken Noodle/Dumpling Soup


1 3 - 3 1/2 lb chicken - cut into eight pieces
2 large onions - (1) cut in half (1) chopped
4 celery ribs - (2) cut in thirds (2) chopped
5 large carrots - (2) cut in thirds (3) chopped
1 tbsp fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 pkg “Homemade” egg noodles - When I say homemade I mean homemade style :o) 
2 cups bisquick
2/3 cup milk
Put chicken in a 5-6 qt pot and cover about 2 inches above with water. 
Add onion that was cut in half, celery and carrots that were cut into thirds.
Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat until chicken is done.
Remove chicken from pot and let cool until it is able to be handled. Take the meat from the bones and chop into bite sized pieces. (I always stick my chopped chicken in the fridge until its time to add it back into the soup.)  Add just the bones and skin back into the pot and cook for an additional 1/2 hour over medium heat.
Strain stock and return it to pot. (I strain mine right into another pot so I don't have to keep transferring the stock.)
Add parsley, chopped chicken, celery, carrots, onion, salt and pepper.
Cook another 25 minutes until veggies are cooked through.
Add noodles and stir.  We like a thick soup so I add about 3/4 of the package but add what your family will enjoy.
In separate bowl mix 2 cups bisquick with milk.
Drop spoonfuls (I use a small ice cream scoop) into boiling soup and reduce heat.
Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.  Cover and cook 10 additional minutes.

Check noodles and dumplings for doneness before serving.  
Tip:  The next day when you are serving left overs add some chicken stock to thin out soup since it tends to thicken up when you add the noodles.
Tip:  The carrots that are cut into large piece then strained are usually discarded but when my son was little I would smash it up and turn it into baby food.  Its before you add the salt and you have the added protein from the chicken. He loved it!
Tip:  I’m adding a picture of the homemade egg noodles so you have a clear idea of what I'm talking about.  In the past i've also tried adding spaetzle.  Both are great but again whatever your family will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment